- Learn everything you can about the kind of dementia and what to expect, physically, physiologically, mentally and emotionally.
- Let guests and others know what to expect. The fewer surprises the less stress.
- Have a plan in place in case you have to shift gears, locations or…..
- Keep close to routine. Think about the kinds of activities that are planned for the holiday. See if you can modify it to be as close to regular routine as possible. Also consider the environment, instead of a picnic in the park do it in someone’s back yard. One less thing to worry about if grandpa tends to wander. Plan a story time I bet grandpa would love to tell the kids some stories from way back when…
- If you notice grandpa getting overwhelmed take him away from the group to somewhere calm and familiar, remember you have a plan B.
- ASK for HELP.
And remember… they can’t change but you can.
Because You Care