The important thing is that it provides easy access and can be efficiently updated and shared when needed.
Select a place to store the file that is logical to you – where you can grab it quickly in an emergency or on your way out the door to an appointment. Care2Manage will soon have an online option for families , where you can store the most critical information and have it accessible from any device.
Keep it up to date. An outdated file won’t do you much good when you are standing in the emergency room at midnight!
What should go in the Patient File?
Care recipient’s medical history
- Physician Contact Information
- Health history (e.g. surgeries, other medical conditions)
- Private medical insurance
- Prescription pan
- Long-term care insurance
- Dental and Vision Insurance
- Living Will
- Durable power of attorney for Health Care (also known as a Health Care Proxy)
- Power of Attorney for Finances
- Contact information for care recipient’s lawyer
Because You Care
*First published on Caregiver Action Network